And then I found Shit Christians Say to Jews, & I fell in love with this meme all over again.
I grew up in a city in Northeast Ohio woefully lacking in diversity. To my knowledge, my mother & I together made up 50% of the Jewish population! With this video as my inspiration, I thought I'd share with you a few things people have actually said to me regarding my Judaism - some of these more than once.
- "What do you think about the situation in the Middle East?"
- "Do you only sleep with circumcised guys?"
- "You don't look Jewish."
- "Do you celebrate Thanksgiving?"
- "I used to think all Jewish people had horns."
- "Have you ever seen Schindler's List?"
- "So do you hate Arabs?"
- "Do you guys have your own version of the 10 Commandments?"
- "Jesus was Jewish! So I know he loves you, too."
- "Wait, but your hair is blond."
- "I used to work with a Jewish guy! Maybe you know him. David Cohen?"
- "What is a synagogue?"
- "Do you to want to eventually move to Israel?"
- "I just feel so bad. I don't want you to go to hell."
- "I love Jews! They're the Chosen People."
- "So, like, what do Jews have against Jesus?"
- "You don't have a Jewish last name."
- "Oh my God, you can't eat bacon, right?!"
- "Well, your dad wasn't Jewish so you're not, like, a real Jew."
- "Are you, like, a Jew for Jesus, or the kind of Jew that doesn't believe in him?"
- "You totally don't have Jewish hair!"
- "Do you ever miss Christmas?"
- "My mom said I can't be friends with you because you're going to go to hell."
- "Are you half-Jewish or full-Jewish?"
- "I'm a completed Jew. Do you know what that means? It means I've accepted Jesus as my savior."
- "You're lucky. Seth Rogen is so cute!"
- "What's the deal with those guys with the curls & the hats?"
For the record, every time someone has told me, "Hey, you don't look Jewish!" I've longed to reply with, "Hey, you don't look ignorant!"