Don't get me wrong, I adore my little neighborhood. But in terms of going out, I'm still living the small-town mindset, frequenting the same two or three bars that are in my comfort zone -- you know, like the one that's two blocks steps from my office or 15 steps from my apartment. And it's not just bars: It's everything. I don't like venturing too far from home, which my bestie Becca will testify to - she lived in the U Street corridor for an entire year, & I NEVER came to see her!
One of my goals for 2009 was/is to be more adventurous in terms of taking advantage of the city I'm lucky enough to be living in. I've already been here a year & a half, and I don't know how long I'll be here - at some point, I plan to head back to the Midwest, & when I do, I don't want to look back on my D.C. time & wish I'd been more exploratory.
So I'm finally putting to paper (to blog?) a list of places to go & things to do that's been building in my brain for quite awhile now. All you DCists -- got any suggestions for me? Here we go:
Food & drink:
- Ben's Chili Bowl: A D.C. icon with massively long lines every night
- Ben's Next Door: Soul food at the newly opened joint next door to iconic Ben's Chili Bowl, featuring head chef Rock Harper of "Hell's Kitchen" fame
- Casa Oaxaca: Every time I pass this little Mexican place I want to drop what I'm doing to try it out.
- Chi-Cha Lounge: I don't even know what Andean food is, but I think this place has hookah, which I'm very down with.
- 18th & U Duplex Diner: An American diner-style, which hopefully means waffles!
- Indique: I've been pretty resistant to trying Indian food thus far but really want to try this place, which I pass every day.
- Inti: Peruvian! Do I like Peruvian?
- Jaleo: Spanish tapas
- La Tasca: More Spanish tapas, which I don't even know if I like
- Mama Ayesha's: I pass this little Middle Eastern place on the bus all the time, & it just looks really cool.
- Meskerem: Ethiopian, which I'm prooobbably not going to like
- Oyamel: I hope this place is better than the crap Mexican places I've tried here so far.
- Pasta Mia: I haven't found a good Italian place in the city yet, although I suppose I haven't looked very hard.
- Plum Blossom: Because Asian-fusion is my newest fave
- Tom-Tom: Cute little TexMex place
- Zaytinya: More tapas - Greek/Mediterranean this time
- Biagio: Chocolate store! I don't even like chocolate, this place just looks baller.
- Busboys & Poets: Trendy, popular bookstore/restaurant/bar/venue
- Cafe Saint-Ex: Except I hate dancing
- DC Improv: Cuz I need me some comedy in my life
- Georgetown Cupcake: Self-explanatory!
9:30 Club: Can't wait to go back for Jimmy Eat World in February!
- Palace of Wonders: Freaking crazy-looking burlesque show
- Rock & Roll Hotel: Hipster haven
- Second Affair Consignments: Haven't found a good second-hand store here yet...
- Shake Your Booty: Clothes, shoes, etc. in Admo
- Soussi: Hookah!