In honor of President's Day (presidents keep the country organized, after all), I have spent today organizing my own life - namely, by cleaning my apartment.
My roommates & I divvied up the daunting list of tasks (together, they took the bathroom, God bless them both), & I woke up this morning ready to tackle the grit & grim that has invaded my section of assigned chores - the kitchen. Cue scary music.
Sure, I needed to Google phrases like "cleaning powder green can" & "best way to scrub a tile floor." And sure, there were a few mishaps along the way, including:
- A scalded right hand from reaching into a sink of hot water because I didn't have the patience to wait for it to cool down
- A full-scale "I'm gonna burn the place down somehow" freak-out when I discovered the DO NOT USE ON COUNTERTOPS label on the back of my bathroom & shower cleaner. After I'd already cleaned the countertops with it. Oops.
- Ran the dishwasher. Twice.
- Soaked the sorta-nasty drying rack
- Made myself pierogies
- Cleaned all the countertops
- Elbow-greased the oven & burners
- Swept, Swiffered, & scrubbed the kitchen floor
- Organized & alphabetized all my movies
- Cataloged my entire bookshelf on Goodreads.com
- Ate some ice cream
Mom, if you're reading this, I swear you'll be shocked & awed & very impressed with how grown up I am today, even though I also slept til noon & am still in my pajamas & am now watching movie numero dos. I may not be a Barack Obama-style organizer (who excels at both the community & Presidential varieties), but I sure can hold my own with a can of Comet & a scrub brush.